Friday, January 18, 2008

Magnetic Paint


Let's talk about magnetic paint today. The picture above is of my studio in which I used a magnetic primer on the Palm green wall on the left. You can see all of the stuff I have hanging on that wall and most of it IS magnets. So yes, it does really work. In order for me to get it to work though I had to do 5 coats. And, the other piece of information you should know is that I used a magnetic primer which is very dark gray. The reason it is gray is because it is a primer mixed with a bunch of little metal shavings in it. So in reality the paint is not magnetic it is metal. That is why magnets stick to it. A couple of things you should take in consideration before running out to Home Depot for some magnetic paint...
  1. The metal shavings in the paint will change the texture of the surface in which you are painting. So, if you have a smooth surface and want it to stay that way it won't. Sanding it will take away a lot of the metal shavings and the magnets won't work as well so you'll have to live with the variation of texture the metal shavings will create.
  2. Magnetic paint is fairly expensive! You will have to cover the surface you want to be magnetic at least 3 times! I painted only one wall that is close to 9' x 12' 5 times and it cost me about $125.
  3. The metal shavings colors the paint or primer a metalish gray. So, whatever you paint over it will be affected by the gray color. If you plan on painting a light color on that surface you should paint a few coats of the magnetic paint first, paint at least one coat of the good quality primer next, and then paint your color you really would like to see. The wall will still be magnetic but you'll get the color you like.
  4. Even with 5 coats of the magnetic paint, some of my magnets don't stick. If they are heavy or weak then they slide down to the base boards. Mighty magnets work super as well do the lighter in weight magnets.

Bottom line...I would encourage you to paint with the magnetic paint, it's just going to be less frustrating for you since I discovered a lot of the mistakes! I love my magnetic wall and I'm sure you will too!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanx 4 the info! i am planning on painting a small wall in my room with magnetic paint, but i wasn't so sure how to use it. i'm glad for the help! thanx again!

JackieSue said...

Do you think this would bve magnetic through a really cheap thin peice of tin to make the tin actually magnetic (cuz it's not... go figure?)
Thanks for the info!!

Anonymous said...

This will be very helpful I'm sure! I would like to paint a small section of my wall for my son to play on. I would want his alphabet singer to stick to the wall. The main control, as well as each letter of the alphabet. Do you think that it would stick? Thanks again for your help

jelly andrews said...

I am glad you shared this information. Magnetic paint seems a great idea. I love to try it at home too. But is it safe? Does it smells like any other paint?